Monday, September 22, 2014

Review: Zoo City

Today's review is written by my friend Casey. Casey and I shared an office when I first started working as an admin assistant. I cannot thank her enough for our coffee/chocolate breaks, Nando's lunches and just staring out of windows at the outside world like we were caged mice. Also she is reviewing a South African novel which is great! 




Zoo City                                                     
Casey Louw

ZOO CITY is written by South African author, Lauren Beukes. It is part-mystery, part thriller in that the very details of this page-turner divulge little of the plot and the unpredictability of the book in general makes this all the more exciting for the reader. It won the 2011 Arthur C. Clarke Award in 2011 and the 2010 Kitschies Red Tentacle for best novel. 


This book is forged around main character, Zinzi December. The lifeblood of the plot thickens as the reader discovers that each of the books’ criminals are “animaled” or marked with shame and have to permanently have an animal in their company. Zinzi’s animal is a sloth that lazes around her neck as she goes about her daily business. Other hardened criminals each have a different animal that marks their dark pasts.

The novel takes place in Johannesburg and mores specifically Hillbrow. Zinzi is “animalled” because she gets into a disastrous situation where her brother is killed. Zinzi used to be a journalist and is privy to various addictions which form haunting habits of which she hopes to rid herself.

The plot thickens as Zinzi owes her dealer money and has to make ends meet as well as repay the debt. Zinzi is gifted in that she has the perceptive ability to find peoples’ lost possessions and as such finds herself entwined in various webs of strangers’ lives in an attempt to find things they have lost that mean much to them for sentimental or nostalgic reasons.  The storyline gets juicy when Zinzi gets nudged into the vicarious lives of a brother and sister pop band, where the sister has strangely disappeared and is nowhere to be found; much to the distress of those close to her. Zinzi willingly takes this job as it will be her means to repay the debt she owes to her dealer. 


Here's some more about Casey:


I love to write, any time anywhere. I enjoy a good read but find little time for it, so when I find a good book I tend to burrow under a blanket on the couch for a while. I love the outdoors and travelling. I’m at my happiest around friends and family! I love languages of which I can converse in German and skate by with Afrikaans, which is terrible as I am half Afrikaans. I love South Africa where I find my home, for the people - our ribbon of culture entwined in our talents as artists, musical genies, foodies, teachers and people bulging with voluptuous artistic ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment