Monday, April 22, 2013

Custard Slices



HA! I laugh because the title of this post was a shameless ruse set in order to lure you in. If you are reading this consider yourself rused! Yes, there’ll be some small discussion about custard slices, but mostly I’ll be complaining about how I was sick this weekend. So, yes, I was sick this weekend. It was okay, I guess, I slept a lot because that’s mostly all my body would permit me to do because everything else required too much energy.

Now usually I relish the idea of lying around doing nothing. It’s one of my things. However, this weekend was different because I actually had plans. Plans that involved real people, doing fun things people do together in groups. No, it wasn’t an orgy, because sex is NOT fun. I imagined my weekend to be filled with laughter and obscene amounts of high-fiving.


This over sex any day


I do spend a lot of time alone so in this instance it wasn’t the being at home alone aspect that bothered me. In other instances I just cry. Anyway, the fact was that I couldn’t even do the stuff I enjoy doing like cooking or baking or dancing “badly” but secretly believing it’s awesome. Sometimes I even relish doing things on my own because I get to try all sorts of stuff I’ve been dying to do and if it’s a flop who cares there’s only me and no one ever has to know. Stuff like this:

BACON HOUSE!!!


Bacon House dreams deferred I instead had to settle for custard slices. Settle is a strong even harsh word as I do love a good custard confection. I have always been slightly wary about making my own custard though since there is always a chance of lumps and anything lumpy is not going near my mouth, I am a lady, afterall. But I found this really easy and delicious recipe on smitten kitchen, my now go to food blog. Then I popped some shop bought puff pastry in the oven, filled it with the custard and topped with icing. Such a little effort for such tasty morsels – perfect for the sick, grumpy cook.







The angry lady made us


No comments:

Post a Comment